At St Augustine's we promote many aspects of Health and Well Being through our Assemblies, Daily Physical Activities, home learning challenges, within other areas of our curriculum and through our whole school culture.
Within our PE Lessons, we use REAL PE which actively promotes and encourages children to consider key aspects of their Health and Well Being.
We expect all pupils to know how to stay healthy and to recognise what constitutes an unhealthy lifestyle. There are many opportunities for children to discuss 'Being Healthy' and what to do when illness occurs. Health professionals such as the Community Dental Worker visits classes to promote good teeth care.
National health screening programmes are provided in school:
- In Reception all pupils have their eyesight and hearing checked.
- In Reception, Year 1, 2, 3 and Y4 all pupils are offered a Flu Vaccination.
- In Year 6 all pupils are offered a height and weight check.
We actively promote Health and Well Being initiatives, such as Aldi's 'Get Set to Eat Fresh'. We encourage children to complete Healthy Half Termly tasks, both in school and at home. Examples include using Fitness Trackers to measure our steps and trying to beat our Personal Best, Designing and creating healthy balanced meals, completing an activity on the National Trust's '50 things to do before you are 11 3/4' and focusing on wellbeing and Random Acts of Kindness.
We actively encourage daily physical activity in many ways throughout the school, from challenging ourselves to improve with the Daily Mile, to Dance and Movement challenges with 'Jump Start Jonny' and BBC 'Super Movers', as well as Cosmic Yoga and Headspace mindfulness sessions. In EYFS, Mindfulness Monsters supports the children's understanding of Health and wellbeing.
After School Clubs
We have a wide range of after school clubs available throughout the school year to encourage children to be active and enjoy sport. Examples include Cheerleading Club, Dodgeball Club, Multi-Skills Club, Street Dance Club, Basketball Club and more.
- During lunchtime we offer a wide range of activities and equipment to make lunch times active, fun and happy!
- Our Year 6 play leaders go and play fun games with KS1 and EYFS- they love it!
- Our Lunchtime Leaders challenge KS2 to complete 'virtual challenges', where results can be compared against other schools in our SSP.
- On Wednesdays Premier offer a KS1 & KS2 Lunchtime active club with changing activities such as Archery, Tag Rugby, Basketball, Cricket, Tennis and Tri-golf.
Our aim is to get as many children involved in competitive sport experiences as possible in their time at St Augustine's. This year, there are 24 external competitions taking place which enable children to experience competing and representing the schools. Some of the competitions we will be attending include: Tag Rugby, Football Festival, Sportshall Athletics, Frisbee Festival, Cross Country, Gymnastics festival, Quad Kids, Kwik Cricket, EYFS Tennis Festival and Active Kids Festival.
We also have Competitive opportunities in school, ranging from within PE lesson competitions and challenges, to Sport's Day, Competition Day and Fun Sports.